Thursday, November 12, 2009

Post Revisited and Countered


While searching for a good paragraph or two of my own to try to forward or counter, I found this bit of information in a post about our news sources.

“Being a college student, I feel as though I need to be more in tune with what is going on with the world but I do not have an excessive amount of time to do such. I am interested in what is going on, as most in our class would say, but I do not have anything above homework and entertainment on my priority list.

It appears that our class as a whole is engaged in what is going on to some degree. Not many appear to be living under a rock or anything. If civic literacy had a gauge from 1 to 10, I would give us a 6 as a class. That would mean better than some but still not good enough.”


I feel very correct in stating that homework and entertainment are my main priorities, but I believe that being a college student in these times requires more than submersing the brain in books, work, watching TV and entertaining oneself. As college student I believe that we should be more well-rounded individuals that take in news, participate in clubs or groups bigger than our normal social circles, and get out into the world that we will be alone in all too soon.
Due to many people feeling the same way, I must say that our class’ civic literacy is more of an 8 out of ten now. I feel more in-tune with the world now that we are keeping up with it as a class and I feel that the habits of checking the NY Times, watching informative television programs, and keeping track of a few major blogs will remain even after this class is over in a few short weeks. This class has helped many of us take the step from passive to proactive news gatherers and participants in society—a step which may not have taken place until after college or later.

1 comments:

Ben Helms said...

Isn't it odd to quote yourself?

I like how you gauged our civic literacy in your initial blog (which I hadn't read). It gave you the interesting opportunity to brag upon the progress of our class in this blog.

I also think that i will still read the NY Times and my blogs.

Post a Comment