Jeff Jarvis’ definition of the “press-sphere” is explained through the whole article through simple diagrams. The Press-Sphere is a group of things linked together on the internet, TV, and newspapers including press, peers, search, links, original sources, companies, and the government; they are linked because they are sharers of information—information that is spread not always by newsrooms but sometimes by the public itself. I really like Jarvis’ ideas on how the people are more at liberty to find their own news and share it instead of being so dependent upon the press. I especially enjoy the paragraph before his last diagram. It is very scientific in its metaphor comparing ‘topics’ to molecules that attract atoms—reporters, editors, witnesses… which all add “different elements to a greater understanding.”
I did not really find any of his models confusing OR unusual. They all made sense to me and were very simple to read and understand. I did wonder about the diagram titled “The Press Sphere” though. How did he decide where to put the circles, how big to make them, and where they touch and overlap? It this based on any research, or just merely speculation? I could come up with my own reasons for them to do so, but I am curious as to whether Jarvis put a lot of thought into it.
My favorite chart is the one titled “The New News Process.” It seems very well thought out and shows the progression of a story in a quite detailed manner. I think Jarvis did a great job at explaining his ideas, especially with the diagrams.
The blog he wrote has many good ideas in it but there is a lack of support. He states things and illustrates with the diagrams, but there is no backing up of his statements through research or any other quotation-type referencing. I realize that his blog is mostly just a statement of ideas but I believe he could have used a lot more than simple diagrams to get some of his ideas across.
0 comments:
Post a Comment